Sunday, October 2, 2016

JCUF VOL 3 NO 1 (2016) – Children’s Author JADEN AMBER TAYLOR

This edition of the Journal of Canadian Urban Fiction is dedicated to the writers who have committed themselves to sharing diverse stories and celebrating children from all backgrounds through literature. We take a brief look at their history, their inspiration, and their favourite children’s titles, and ask them to share some advice for aspiring authors.

CELEBRATING CHILDREN’S AUTHOR JADEN AMBER TAYLOR


1) How long have you been writing children's literature, and what first inspired you to write this genre of books?

I started writing cartoon children's books when I was in first grade, instead of doing my homework. I've always enjoyed telling funny stories; making a book was a fun way to tell those stories to everyone. Instead of retelling the same thing over and over again to people, I can just say: "Here, read this!" and that was very exciting. I started Prissy Little Chloe two years ago, and ever since then I've been writing books for the series.

2) How does your personal culture influence your writing?

Personally, my influence comes from my love of puppies! I have a rambunctious little terrier and I write about all the trouble she gets herself into.

3) What do you remember about children's books when you were growing up, and how to you hope to change the experience with your audience?

My favorite children's book series is the Robert Munsch books. I love the illustrations and mostly how funny they were to me (my favorite is Moira's Birthday).

4) Who is your favourite children's author, and why?

My favorite children's author is Jeff Kinney of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I love his cartoon style and his sense of humor (my favorite is The Long Haul).

5) What is one piece of advice you would give to an aspiring children's author, based on your experiences thus far?

My advice to aspiring authors is to just get your book out there! Today, anyone can publish a book on Amazon; the first thing I tell aspiring authors is to open up a Word document and just start writing. If there's anyone wants to know how to publish their books on Amazon.com, feel free to email me at jadenambertaylor@gmail.com. I'm always happy to help!

CONTACT JADEN

EMAIL: jadenambertaylor@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment